Image Gallery

Sections: Manxview's Images » Peel

« Previous Image Next Image »


On the hill overlooking the City of Peel, a tower stands. Built around 1806 for a Thomas Corrin, who owns the hill and much land nearby. The site was one of his favourite places and there next to the tower in a small outlined graveyard he laid to rest his wife and two children. Their graves are marked out with pillars of stone.

Corrin's Tower, also known as Corrin's Folly, is four stories high. Much of the inside is taken up with a pillar set in the centre of the building, It starts out square on the ground floor, but goes more round as it moved up through the floors to the roof. Memorial tablets of stone as well as inscriptions on the walls, mark the ground and first floor with memories of departed Corrins'. Thomas Corrin often stayed on the third floor reading by a small fireplace. The windows on the east side of the tower, first, second and third floors are blocked up, due to complains that ships were mistaking the tower light for the Peel water break light.

In 1840 the Tower and site was given to the Board of Trade by its owner. Thomas Corrin died in 1845 and wished to be buried on the hill, but this wish was not honoured by his son, who believe his father should be buried in consecrated ground. So instead Thomas was briefly lied to rest in the Kirk Patrick Church Yard, till one night when his friends moved his body unto the hill. After which the son, Robert Corrin, accepted the location once the ground had been consecrated.

Camera Nikon D90.
Lens Nikon nikkor 18/105mm.

Taken on the 5th January 2013.

Submitted by: Mark